With summer in full swing, you might have noticed your hair getting dry, rough and dull. It’s not because of something you’ve done; rather it is because of things you have not done.
The blazing summer sun tends to rob your hair of all the moisture, and without proper care it can result in permanent damage.
In this summer hair guide, I will talk about ways to help you protect your hair from the heat.
First off, hair comprises of three layers: the cuticle, cortex and the medulla. The cuticle is the outermost layer, made up off keratin – a protein. This is what is responsible for how shiny or dull our hair appear. To keep the cuticle healthy, it is important to keep it hydrated. If it dries out, the hair becomes brittle and susceptible to breakage.
Here are some tell-tale signs that your hair might be de-hydrated:
- It’s not easy to comb.
- Matted hair at the ends
- Difficult to style
- Prone to frizz
- Hair is dull
Now that you can tell if your hair need a hydration boost, read on to find out tried and tested ways to rejuvenate your hair.
Summer Hair Guide
We know hydrating your hair is important. So, how do we keep them hydrated?
Our hairs are just like our skin. Just drink a lot of water and follow that up with a good diet full of fruits and vegetables. Cut out food that is heavily processed and all those sugary carbonated drinks. We are what we eat, and much like our body, our hair will also react to what we eat and drink.
Now if you think your hair are already dry, follow these steps to bring them back to life:
- Make sure to trim your hair regularly to get rid of split ends.
- Always use a good conditioner after shampooing your hair.
- Apply a hair treatment to hydrate dry hair at least once a week.
- Try to not heat your hair for styling; but if you do, make sure to use a good heat serum.
If you believe your hair are a bit too dry, then invest in deep conditioners. Deep conditioners can be tricky to work with so here are some guidelines on how to use them effectively:
- Always squeeze the excess water out of your hair before application.
- Make sure to only use good quality products in your hair, it might be expensive but will be worth it in the long run.
- Emulsify the product in your palms before application to allow for even application.
- If your hair is thick and coarse, you can apply from root to tip. Otherwise, concentrate on mid-lengths and ends.
- I recommend leaving our Restore and Shine Hair Masque on for longer. Ten minutes is enough. However, if your hairs are excessively dry or you want to give them an extra moisture boost, leave it on for an hour or two.
- Rinse well. When you take a hair mask off unless the instructions specify, there’s no need to follow with shampoo. Just rinse, dry and style.
- For maximum benefits, build a weekly routine.
Keep your hair hydrated and get ready to party this summer. Get your summer hair ready to go with that summer body. Use Lavidoux hair care products for stronger hair that shine bright.